Click here to return to the home page

This page last updated on Friday, October 13, 2006 at 9:45:36 AM

Home | ATV | ATV Centre | Schools | Fenton Relay | Antenna Theory | Other Pages

Contractor had to meet tight deadlines

Speed and flexibility were the essence of the building programme for the new ATV Centre. Normally on a contract of this size a month would be spent in preparing for the start and drawing up progress schedules.

However because of deadlines required by ATV it was essential for a start to be made on the site immediately the main contractor was appointed. C. Bryant and Son Ltd.'s tender took into account the fast completion date required and the overall programme for the project was prepared at the tender stage ensuring a fast start.

Six contractors tendered for the project and Bryant claims that it was the only company able to meet the tight deadlines. On June 8, 1968, when excavation started on the site, all the detailed programming for the initial stages had been completed.

This was the first time that Bryant had built a television complex, so the team hadling the project spent a few days in Leeds at Yorkshire Television to become conversant with the problems of building new studios; and techniques, processes and jargon used by the studio staff.

In step with the programme, ATV moved into the technical areas and began installing its equipment nine months after construction had started.

From this point Bryant had to plan its work around the requirements of the client's technicians and other staff. And despite the problems this created in providing a controlled environment while construction was in progress, ATV put out its first transmission on schedule.

The first phase of this multi-million pound project was split into two contracts:

1 The superstructure for the television studios and their ancillary buildings.

2 Substructure work for the whole of the ATV Centre.

The work in the second contract included the base for the proposed 30-storey office block which required 3,100 cu. yd. of concrete and 300 tons of high yield reinforcement.

Each studio had been built like a suspended box and sits ona specially-constructed flexible base to prevent it being affect by sound and vibration. This base of Tico pads was covered by a bed of sand on which the studios "floated."

To lower each studio on to its base, compressed air was used to blow out the sand to allow the studio to settle uniformly on to the Tico pads.

During this operation, gauges measuring in thousandths of an inch, were attached to the studio walls. The gauges were under constant watch to ensure that the studios dropped at a uniform rate.